The energy-related bills introduced in the Nevada Legislature to date will be explained at a public meeting Thursday evening, March 23, 2017, from 6-8 p.m. at the UNR Innevation Center, 450 Sinclair Street in Reno.
Assemblyman William McCurdy II is the event’s special guest speaker. McCurdy (District 6, Las Vegas) is the sponsor of AB223, a bill which would expand energy efficiency programs for all Nevadans, and assure that lower income Nevadans have access to utility energy efficiency programs.
Kyle Davis of the Nevada Conservation League is the featured speaker and will review the broad array of other proposed legislation designed to improve Nevada’s environment and economy including:
- AB206– increases the amount or renewable energy supplied by utilities to consumers through a higher Renewable Energy Resource Standard (RPS)
- AB270– restores Nevada’s roof top solar industry
- AB5–enables the financing of energy efficiency and renewable energy measures in buildings through Property Assessed Clean Energy (PACE) loans
- SB204–sets targets for energy storage through batteries and other technologies
- SB65–modifies the Integrated Resource Planning (IRP) process of the Public Utilities Commission of Nevada (PUCN) to give greater value to economic and environmental benefits associated with different energy resources
- SB145–provides for additional Distributed Generation planning
- SB407–establishes a “Green Bank” in Nevada to finance energy projects
- SB150–expands energy efficiency programs in Nevada and also sets goals for utilities along with an incentive for utilities to help their customers save energy and money
- SB392, facilitates the establishment of Community Solar Gardens
The energy education event gets underway at 6:00 with refreshments hosted by Red Rock Bar of Reno, followed by the review of energy bills by Kyle Davis. Assemblyman McCurdy is scheduled to speak at 7:00 p.m. followed by a question/answer/discussion session that concludes at 8 p.m.
The event sponsored by the Nevada Conservation League, Vote Solar, Nevada Data Mining, SWEEP, and the Energy Efficiency Business Coalition of Nevada. Attendance is free but space is limited. To RSVP or for more information, please contact Tom Polikalas, [email protected] or 775-386-7411.