Terna | News Release — After four months with a negative sign, electricity consumption in Italy returns to growth.

In February 2015, according to Terna data, electricity demand, amounting to 25.2 billion kWh, recorded an increase of 0.7% compared to February last year.

In general terms, the last increase in monthly electricity consumption compared to the previous year was recorded in the summer of 2012, except for September 2014, with a slight increase (+0.4%), compared to the particularly low figure in September 2013 (-2.6%) and in 2012 (-8.3%).

Adjusted for the temperature effect, the change in electricity demand for February 2015 was -0.7%.

With the same number working days (20), compared to the same month in 2014, the average monthly temperature was approx two degrees lower.

The 25.2 billion kWh demand in February 2015 was distributed as follows: 46.1% in the North, 29.8% in Central Italy and 24.1% in the South.

At the regional level, electricity demand in February 2015 was negative in the North, (-0.9%), positive in Central Italy (+1.5%) and in the South (+3.6%).

In February 2015 electricity demand was 82.4% met by national production and the remaining part (17.6%) by the balance of energy exchanged with foreign countries. In detail, net national
production (20.9 billion kWh) grew by 0.2% compared to February 2014. Thermal (+7.5%), geothermal (+8.2%) and photovoltaic (+8.3%) energy production increased, Hydroelectric (-25.0%) and wind power (-1.6%) production both decreased.

The short-term profile for February 2015 showed a seasonally adjusted variation in electricity demand compared to the previous month equal to +0.7%. The trend remains slightly negative.

In the first two months of 2015, electricity demand decreased by 0.7% compared to the same period in 2014; based on the same number of days, the value is in line with last year (+0.0).

Derick Lila
Derick is a Clark University graduate—and Fulbright alumni with a Master's Degree in Environmental Science, and Policy. He has over a decade of solar industry research, marketing, and content strategy experience.

This material produces electric power with greater efficiency than those currently available

Previous article

JinkoSolar Signs Five-Year RMB3 Billion Strategic Financing Agreement with China Minsheng Bank

Next article

You may also like


Comments are closed.

More in News