Part of the reason the Saskatchewan government is reviewing and replacing its now-canceled net metering program is to accommodate the needs of people who can’t afford to invest in solar power, the premier says. Scott Moe took questions on Wednesday in Saskatoon about the controversial cancellation of the program, which the province says will be replaced within weeks, for the first time.
“So we need to balance the needs of everyone if you will,” Moe said.
“Those that want to make the investment in renewables — and we most certainly want to make that possible — but we also need to balance the needs of those that need power and aren’t able to make that investment.”
SaskPower said last week the canceled program would have required a seven percent increase for all ratepayers in order to continue.