A new research project out of King Abdullah University of Science and Technology does just that.

It starts with a typical solar panel—which can only turn about 20% of the energy into electricity while losing the other 80% to the air as heat.

“The heat was considered as waste . . . until our device (to the best of my knowledge),” writes lead researcher Peng Wang over email. Because what his team’s system does is use that lost heat to purify water.

How? The ambient heat is directed to a system of tubes pumped full of seawater.

Once warmed, the seawater evaporates up through several fibrous quartz glass membranes, which purifies water by filtering it through tiny capillaries. At the same time, conductive layers inside the tubes continue to recapture heat, to feed the evaporative process again and again.

Editorial Team
The Editorial Team comprises a diverse and talented team of writers, researchers and subject matter experts equipped with data and insights to deliver useful news updates. We are experts with the mission to inform, educate and inspire the industry. We are passionately curious, enthusiastic, and motivated to positively impact the world. Send us a tip via hello @ pvbuzz [dot] com.

See-through solar panel breakthrough could lead to self-powered smartphones

Previous article

Off-grid renewable energy is solving Africa’s electricity access and employment issues

Next article

You may also like


Comments are closed.

More in News